Friday, 7 August 2009

22. Milk Punch



(Use large bar glass)

1 table-spoonful of fine white sugar.
2 do. water
1 wine-glass of Cognac brandy. (2 ounce - Soberano - 36% ABV
1/2 do. Santa Cruz rum. (1 ounce - Matusalem Gran Reserva - 40% ABV)
1/3 Tumblerful of shaved ice.
Fill with milk, shake the ingredients well together, and grate a little nutmeg on top.


Method: Add all ingredients to mixing glass, add cracked ice and shake well for approximately 10 seconds.
Glass: Highball
Garnish: Freshly grated nutmeg
Ice: Cracked
Notes: The night I made this drink and sat down to write about it, The Big Lebowski was on Sky Movies. I found it fitting that I was going to be sampling a milky/creamy drink whilst watching a film that has a White Russian in just about every scene.

Like 'The Dude', I'm partial to the odd White Russian here and there, although I substitute the vodka for a brandy/Cognac, so this was one Punch I'll happily admit to looking forward to. I know some bartenders will turn their nose up at creamy drinks and quite rightly so as the vast majority are absolute rubbish, but there are some out there which are worth exploring like the Brandy Alexander for example. And I'll add this recipe to that short list.

The reason I opted to use the Matusalem Gran Reserva in this drink was down to its taste which has a touch of cinnamon, chocolate and vanilla which I believed would combine well with the other ingredients. And also because it's a bloody good rum.

It will come as no surprise that the nose in this drink was cream, nutmeg and just a touch of chocolate. The initial sweetness of caramel upon tasting quickly opened up to hints of butterscotch, cinnamon, toffee and a slight touch of banana. There was a slight woodiness to the finish but again it was mostly the sweet-spice of cinnamon and nutmeg that dominated the medium finish.

There was something about this drink which took me back to my childhood when my mum used to make home-made rice pudding which she would finish with everyone's favourite cinnamon substitute, nutmeg. Happy days...

And by the way, if you've not yet seen The Big Lebowski then get yourself sorted out for goodness sake!

-----


Adam Elmegirab
Bar Consultant / Compounder
Evo-lution / Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters

E-mail: adam.elmegirab@evo-lution.org
Web: www.evo-lution.org / www.bokersbitters.co.uk
Facebook: Adam Elmegirab / Evo-lution Bar Consultancy / Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters
Twitter: @AdamsBitters

1 comment:

  1. i am making this one next... i love Milk Punch...

    ReplyDelete